The House Science and Technology Committee has released the witness lineup for its hearing next Wednesday, December 2, on “Ensuring the Safety of Human Space Flight”:
- Mr. Bretton Alexander, President, Commercial Spaceflight Federation
- Dr. Joseph Fragola, Vice President, Valador Inc.
- Mr. Jeff Hanley, Program Manager, Constellation Program, Exploration Systems Mission Directorate, NASA
- Mr. John Marshall, Council Member, Aerospace Safety Advisory Panel, NASA
- Mr. Bryan O’Connor, Chief of Safety and Mission Assurance, NASA
- Lt. Gen. (Ret.) Thomas Stafford
I’m not familiar with the positions of some of the people on the panel, but right now the only person who appears to be a strong advocate of commercial human spaceflight is Alexander. (Others may support the concept, but not to the same degree.)
The hearing is scheduled for the exact same time (10 am December 2) as a hearing on “Commercial Space Transportation” by the aviation subcommittee of the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee. No hearing information, including planned witnesses, has been released, although as previously noted here the chairman of the full committee, James Oberstar, has been critical of commercial space transportation laws and regulations in the past.